6 Best Places to buy Furniture in Maine
Maine is known for a lot of wonderful things, but shopping isn't one of them
Whenever we close on the sale of a vacation home, I am immediately asked "where do we find furniture?"
Short of sending the new homeowners to take a chance with online orders and delivery, I have a handful of recommendations that buyers love:
1. Rustics Furniture, Bethel, ME: Rustics is a family-owned store featuring locally made products. The style is true to the ski country atmosphere: log and post bedframes, antlered lamps and flannel throws. It's no wonder that most homes in town have an item or two from Rustics. The owners both have other jobs so it's best to call Kathy & Paul if you plan to visit the store: 617-519-1116
2. Cornish Trading Co, Cornish, ME: This is one of the best kept secrets in Maine! I have found bathroom vanities, wine barrel planters, chairs and decor here. The website does not do this place justice, you really need to stop in. The hours are limited this time of year so it's best to check first before heading out.
3. Chilton Furniture, Freeport and Scarborough, ME: You've probably heard of Chilton Furniure or seen their furniture somewhere. Not only are their pieces handcrafted and reputable but Chilton offers a variety of styles to choose from so you aren't locked into "coastal" or "cottage" when you walk through the door. The company strives to remain true to their Maine Heritage by featuring products with Shaker design and philosophy.
4. The Hub, Portland, ME: The Hub is an eclectic furniture store (perfect for accent pieces) with it's flagship location situated in a 5 story building in the Old Port. Some furniture is available online through The Hub's website but it's such a fun, vertical experience to shop at the original store that I prefer to make the time to walk through when we're in Portland.
5. L.L. Bean, Freeport, ME: I had to. Everyone loves something from Bean's whether it's boots, flannel or furniture. The last time I was in Home Store, I was surprised to find such an attractive display of options. I have purchased a few closing gifts from Bean's and clients love them. I guess there's a reason you've heard of LL Bean.
6. MaineCottage.com : This is website shopping but the great thing about Maine Cottage is that they will send fabric swatches so that you can get the color and texture right before you order. We have some of their products in our Sunday River office and those pieces are always receiving compliments.